- To assist the Leader and Caucus in carrying out their public, parliamentary, party and caucus responsibilities by providing advice and information on strategic issues of concern and ensuring a focused strategic approach.
- To work closely with Caucus members and staff ensuring full co-ordination between the two groups and successful communication of the policies and priorities of Caucus
RESPONSIBLE TO THE DIRECTOR OF RESEARCH FOR:
- Maintaining contact with and becoming thoroughly knowledgeable about political, community and stakeholder organizations and issues through regular gathering of information from media, community, government, stakeholders and other sources, especially related to health policy, as well as other issues
- Developing, maintaining and monitoring files on government programs, general issues, events, other matters of importance within assigned issues areas
- Providing information and political analysis and advice to Caucus
- Generating ideas for effective, targeted political action to advance the strategic goals of Caucus
- Preparing proposed questions for Question Period, Order Paper Questions and Freedom of Information requests, draft press releases, speaking notes, briefing notes, resolutions, motions and raw material for leaflets
- Working with Legislative Counsel on private member bills and motions to amend government bills
- Briefing Caucus members and preparing them on all aspects of contentious issues
- Preparing a wide variety of reports and presentations for various audiences
- Other related duties as required as assigned
- Knowledge, appropriate to the position, of the NDP, the Ontario government and the workings of the Legislature
- At least one year of recent experience specializing in health policy or equivalent
- Knowledge and understanding of Ontario economic trends and developments
- Knowledge of qualitative and quantitative research as well as statistical analysis techniques and their application to policy research and analysis
- Excellent political judgment and the ability to perceive and pursue news angles and political opportunities in the daily flood of information
- Proven ability to work energetically without supervision, provide leadership, produce accurate and effective work according to deadlines, and maintain organized records.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, ability to deal with the public, ability to work under pressure, good computer and office organization skills
- Solid experience in investigative research/public relations
- Ability to write succinctly, powerfully, quickly
- Experience in the NDP organization and election campaigns would be an asset
- Second language skills would be an asset
- Familiarity with equity, anti-racism and anti-oppression policy frameworks
The NDP Caucus is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request.
Please apply on the link https://ndp.bamboohr.com/careers/315
Thank you for your application. Please note, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.