To assist the Leader and Caucus in carrying out their public, parliamentary, party and caucus responsibilities by providing advice and information on strategic issues of concern, and ensuring a focused strategic approach.
To work closely with MPPs and staff to ensure full co-ordination between the two groups and successful communication of the policies and priorities of Leader and Caucus.
Responsible to the Director of Legislative Affairs for:
- Maintaining contact with and becoming thoroughly knowledgeable about political, community and stakeholder organizations and issues through regular gathering of information from media, community, government, stakeholders and other sources, especially related to economic policy, as well as other issues
- Developing, maintaining and monitoring files on government programs general issues, events, other matters of importance within assigned issues areas
- Providing information and political analysis and advice to Caucus
- Generating ideas for effective, targeted political action to advance the strategic goals of Caucus
- Preparing proposed questions for Question Period, Order Paper Questions and Freedom of Information requests, resolutions, motions, briefing notes, caucus notes, backgrounders, petitions, correspondence and letters, and raw material for leaflets
- Working with Legislative Counsel on private member bills and motions, and amendments to government bills
- Briefing Caucus members and preparing them on all aspects of contentious issues
- Preparing a wide variety of reports and presentations for various audiences
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge, appropriate to the position, of the NDP, the Ontario government and the workings of the Legislature
- At least one year of recent experience specializing in economic policy or public finance
- Knowledge and understanding of Ontario economic trends and developments
- Knowledge and understanding of public finance, trends and developments
- Knowledge of qualitative and quantitative research as well as statistical analysis techniques and their application to policy research and analysis
- Experience using economic data to support the policy development and analysis process
- Excellent political judgment and the ability to perceive and pursue news angles and political opportunities in the daily flood of information
- Proven ability to work energetically and pro-actively without supervision, provide leadership, produce accurate and effective work according to deadlines, and maintain organized records.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, ability to deal with the public, ability to work under pressure, good computer and office organization skills
- Solid experience in investigative research/public relations
- Ability to write succinctly, powerfully, quickly and accurately
- Experience in the labour movement or NDP organization and election campaigns would be an asset
- Second language skills would be an asset
- Familiarity with equity, anti-racism and anti-oppression policy frameworks
The NDP Caucus is an equal opportunity employer. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request.
Applications to Human Resources Coordinator
NDP Caucus Services, Room 113
Queen’s Park, Toronto, ON M7A 1A5