Job: Executive Assistant to the MPP
Status: Full-time (32 hours per week)
Department/ Location: Office of MPP Sara Singh, Queen’s Park
Objective: To coordinate the Member’s Queen’s Park and Constituency Office and to carry out political and legislative duties on behalf of the Member.
The Executive Assistant will be responsible for engaging with the Riding’s constituents, local groups, stakeholders, and other relevant parties. In the Brampton Centre Riding, Punjabi-speaking communities respectively comprise 4.6% of the riding and 1.5% of Ontario’s minority population (Statistics Canada, 2016). Linguistic skills relevant to these communities are therefore required. Such requirements include the ability to proficiently read, write, and speak Punjabi.
Responsible to the Member for:
1. Management and Supervision (in consultation with the Member)
- Makes effective recommendations concerning hiring new employees at the Members Offices.
- Assigns duties, monitors workload and assignments.
- Makes effective recommendations concerning budgets, staffing levels, coordinates employee vacations, monitors attendance and determines overtime needs.
- Manages Member’s Queen’s Park Office.
- Manages social media and ensures MPP has a strong presence.
2. Administration and Correspondence
- Responds and resolves issues and problems or assigns matters to employees at Queen’s Park or in the Constituency Office.
- Prepares specialized correspondence on behalf of the Member.
- Consults with Senior Team regarding Question Period Strategy and prepares Questions for the Member as assigned.
- Liaises with stakeholders and community groups. Performs constituency outreach.
3. Advisory/Research Duties
- Monitors legislation and proceedings of the legislature.
- Advises Member on policy and strategy.
- Identifies emerging issues.
- Provides support in developing specialized research.
- Ensures Member is provided with up-to-date information on all matters necessary for the Member to perform their legislative responsibilities.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the NDP, the Ontario Government and public affairs.
- Proven research skills, specifically the MPP's Critic areas.
- Excellent communications skills; including strong writing and computer skills, ability to work with the public; ability to work under pressure; and work to tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability and experience working with a wide range of communities, Punjabi speaking community respectively comprise 4.6% in the riding and 1.5% of Ontario’s minority population (Statistics Canada, 2016)
- Proficiency in Punjabi is required.
- Experience in the labour movement or NDP organization and election campaigns would be an asset.
- Familiarity with MPP's Constituency, Critic and Legislative responsibilities.
- Media Relations experience preferred
The NDP Caucus is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request.
Please apply on this link https://ndp.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=82
Thank you for your application. Please note, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.