Job: Correspondence Officer
Status: Permanent Full-time
Department/ Location: Leader’s Secretariat (NDP Caucus), Queen’s Park
Applications Due by September 11, 2020
Objectives: To assist the Member by completing assigned casework and outreach duties.
Responsible to the Director of the Leader’s Secretariat for:
- On behalf of the Leader’s Secretariat and Caucus preparation of high-quality, accurate, proof-read correspondence to constituents and members of the public, stakeholder groups, community groups, and government officials.
- Working closely with other departments – Community Engagement, Communications, Stakeholder Relations, Legislative Affairs and Issues Management – to ensure drafted correspondence is appropriate and in line with NDP policy and the message box of the day.
- Having key correspondence reviewed and approved by relevant departments, on behalf of the Leader’s Secretariat.
- Assisting with responses to event invitations for the Leader, as required.
- Manage and respond to day-to-day inquiries from the public, staff, and MPPs directly. Where necessary, triage correspondence with Caucus Service staff to ensure that inquiries are directed to appropriate staff and responded to in a timely fashion.
- Electronically track inquiries from the public to the Leader’s Office and advise the Director as to current trends and controversial issues.
- Assist with the organization and triaging of the Leader’s Queen’s Park inboxes. • Assist with the organization of a centralized correspondence database that can be used by Caucus staff and Members’ offices.
- Contacting constituents and the general public as required by email, written correspondence, telephone, or in person.
- Remain informed of NDP policy and the Caucus’ position on topics of current interest and concern
- Performing specialized research at the Director’s request
- Making inquiries and collecting information in connection with correspondence received by the Leader’s Office
- Liaising with Critic Offices and other Caucus staff to pro-actively determine appropriate follow-up correspondence.
Speaking Notes and Event Material Preparation
- Working with the communications team to draft and prepare speaking materials as required for the Leader’s Tour and B-Tours
- Knowledge appropriate to the position of the NDP and/or Canadian Labour movement, and of the Ontario Government and public affairs.
- Background in communications, copy-editing, journalism
- Excellent communication skills and exceptional writing skills
- Ability to work with the public
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to work under pressure and with tight deadlines
- Ability to conduct research
- Good political judgment and discretion is essential
- Proven experience working with confidential information is an asset
- Strong office organization skills and meticulous attention to detail are essential
- Excellent computer skills including electronic list management, data entry and record-keeping
- Experience in the Labour movement or NDP organization and election campaigns is an asset
- French proficiency is an asset
- Familiarity with equity, anti-racism and anti-oppression policy frameworks
The NDP Caucus is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request.
Please apply on this link https://ndp.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=49 by September 11 2020
Thank you for your application. Please note, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.