Job: Speechwriter / Copywriter
Status: Full Time, Permanent
Department/ Location: Queen’s Park
- To assist the Leader and Caucus in carrying out their public, parliamentary, party and caucus responsibilities by coordinating the development and implementation of media relations strategies based on strategic themes and priorities.
- To assist the Leader and MPPs to deliver the NDP message across the province.
- To craft major speeches and speaking notes for the Leader in consultation with the leadership team, both for parliamentary use and for events across the province.
Responsibilities to the Director of Communications to:
- Be engaged in the strategy around the purpose of major and minor speaking engagements for the Leader
- Draft speeches and speaking notes and steward those materials through the edit and review process to produce final versions of any materials required
- Set, communicate and maintain timelines and priorities on every project
- Experience in a fast-paced environment in writing and editing clear and concise communications materials across a wide variety of channels, including print, digital, web, email, events ads, social media, blogs, editorial, presentations, video, forms and letters.
- Organize writing schedules to complete drafts of content or finished projects within deadlines
- Produce well-researched content for publication online and in print
- Combine and translate complex material from different sources and contexts into stories and content that engage and resonate with target audiences
- Co-ordinate work with the other media relations, communications, research and MPP's staff
- Co-ordinate and complete the writing, production and distribution ofNews releases, speeches, articles, op-eds, and other materials as required
- Generate ideas for effective, targeted bought and earned media to advance the strategic goals of the Leader and Caucus
- Provide briefings in preparation for media events, interviews or public events
- Prepare speaking notes, press releases, media backgrounders, advisories or other materials as needed
- Other related duties as assigned
- Extensive, recent experience as a major speechwriter within the political arena and on a wide variety of subject areas, preferably with experience writing for large audiences
- Ability to write succinctly, powerfully, quickly
- Exceptional writing, editing and copy-editing skills essential
- Knowledge of Canadian Press style and copy-editing standards
- Recent experience working with media outlets across the province including the Queens Park Press Gallery
- Recent experience, knowledge and involvement with media outlets across Ontario
- Knowledge, appropriate to the position, of the NDP, the Ontario government and the workings of the Legislature
- At least five years of recent experience in Speech writing or Copy writing position or equivalent
- Experience and knowledge in communications planning, marketing, and public relations
- Proven ability to work in a team environment
- Proven ability to manage a variety of issues and projects simultaneously
- Excellent political judgment and the ability to perceive and pursue news angles and political opportunities in the daily flood of information
- Proven ability to work energetically, without supervision, to produce accurate and effective work according to deadlines, and maintain organized records
- Proven ability to produce accurate, quality work under pressure
- Solid experience translating and distilling research for a wide audience
- Willingness to work irregular hours, including weekends, and to travel as required
- Experience in the labour movement or NDP organization, as well as election campaigns, would be an asset
- Second language skills would be an asset
- Familiarity with equity, anti-racism and anti-oppression policy frameworks
The NDP Caucus is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request.
Please apply in this link : https://ndp.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=153
Thank you for your application. Please note, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.