Objective: To assist the MPP with their political and legislative duties.
Responsible to the Member for:
- Contacting Constituents and general public, by telephone, writing, and in
- Dealing with enquiries and solving problems ("case work") which come directly to Queen 's Park, or which have to be referred from the constituency office for follow up.
- Contacting senior government personnel, professional people, officials from outside organizations, local government, the media, etc.
- Administering Member's office at Queen's Park and correspondence emanating from that office
- Keeping track of legislation and proceedings of legislature
- Keeping informed of NDP policy and the Caucus' position of topics of current interest, and concern.
- Performing specialized research
- Making enquiries and collecting information in connection with Member's legislative responsibilities and particular community interest and problems.
- Deputizing as required for Member at appeal hearings (WSIB, EI, etc.), at meetings which he or she is unable to attend (take notes or participate).
- Knowledge appropriate to the position of the NDP and/or Canadian Labour movement and of the Ontario Government and public affairs
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Equity and Diversity frameworks and considerations and as it applies to the duties of the position
- Good communication skills.
- Strong writing skills.
- Ability to work with the public.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to do policy research.
- The person filling this position will normally be expected to have following basic office skills: typing shorthand or dictation, filing.
- Experience in the Labour movement or NDP organization and election campaigns would be an asset.
- Deep knowledge of Parkdale—High Park and local community issues is preferred.
The NDP Caucus is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request.
Please apply in this link: https://ndp.bamboohr.com/careers/267
Thank you for your application. Please note, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.