Objective: To assist the MPP with their political and legislative duties.
(Fluency in French oral and written is a requirement)
Responsible to the Member for:
- Contacting Constituents and general public, by telephone, writing, and in person.
- Dealing with enquiries and solving problems ("case work") which come directly to Queen’s Park, or which have to be referred from the constituency office for follow up.
- Contacting senior government personnel, professional people, officials from outside organizations, local government, the media, etc.
- Administering Member's office at Queen's Park and correspondence emanating from that office
- Keeping track of legislation and proceedings of legislature
- Keeping informed of NDP policy and the Caucus' position of topics of current interest, and concern.
- Performing specialized research
- Making enquiries and collecting information in connection with Member's legislative responsibilities and particular community interest and problems.
- Deputizing as required for Member at appeal hearings (WSIB, EI, etc.), at meetings which he or she is unable to attend (take notes or participate).
- Comprehensive knowledge of the NDP, the Ontario Government and public affairs.
- Experience in the labour movement or NDP organization and election campaigns would be an asset.
- Proven research skills, specifically the MPP’s Critic areas.
- Familiarity with the MPP’s constituency, Critic and Legislative responsibilities; familiarity with Northwestern Ontario, including First Nations communities and relevant issues.
- Excellent communication skills, including strong writing and computer skills, ability o work with the public; ability to work under pressure and work with tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Equity and Diversity frameworks and considerations and as it applies to the duties of the position
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- French, both oral and written is a requirement.
- The person filling this position will normally be expected to have basic office skills
The NDP Caucus is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request.
Please apply at this link: https://ndp.bamboohr.com/careers/273
Thank you for your application. Please note, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.