Internal applicants until July 18th
Objective: To assist MPP with their political and legislative duties.
Responsible to the Member for:
1. Administration and Correspondence
Administering the Member’s office at Queen’s Park, including preparing correspondence for the Member to Ministers of the Crown, Provincial Agencies, Boards and Commissions, constituents and members of the public, as well as responding to correspondence from constituents, stakeholder groups and government officials at all levels.
2. Stakeholder Relations
Working closely with the MPP to develop and maintain relations with key stakeholders for the MPP’s critic portfolios. Developing and maintaining key stakeholder database. Assisting the Member by scheduling meetings at Queen’s Park relevant to their critic portfolio, legislative responsibilities or constituency priorities.
3. Public Relations
Contacting constituents and general public as required, by telephone, email or in person. Dealing with inquiries and solving problems (“case work”) that come directly to Queen’s Park, or are referred from the Constituency Office for follow up. Contacting senior government personnel, career professionals, representatives of community organizations, local government officials, and media, on behalf of the Member.
4. Advisory/Research Duties
Tracking legislation and proceedings of the legislature; keeping informed of NDP policy and the caucus position on topics of current interest and concern; performing specialized research at the Member’s request; making inquiries and collecting information in connection with Member’s legislative responsibilities and specific community interest and problems; deputizing as required for the Member at hearings or meetings which she is unable to attend (through note-taking or participating).
- Knowledge appropriate to the position of the NDP and/or Canadian labour movement, and of the Ontario Government and public affairs.
- Excellent communication skills and exceptional writing skills; ability to work with the public; ability to work with minimal supervision; ability to work under pressure; ability to do general research.
- Good computer and office organization skills are essential.
- Experience in the Labour movement or NDP organization and election campaigns would be an asset.
- Candidates with an equity, anti-racism and anti-oppression framework preferred
- Travel between Queen’s Park and Constituency offices - as requested by member.
The NDP Caucus is an equal opportunity employer. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request.
Applications to Human Resources Co-ordinator NDP Caucus, email: [email protected],