To assist the Leader and Caucus to carry out their public, parliamentary and caucus responsibilities by constantly maintaining a clear understanding and breadth of knowledge on emerging issues.
Responsible to the Director of Issues Management for:
- In collaboration with other members of the Issue Management team develop internal systems that ensure the team is constantly up to date and knowledgeable about emerging issues.
- Generate creative ideas for effective, political research and outreach to advance Caucus strategic goals.
- Take initiative to continuously identify and pursue new emerging issues.
- Focus on outreach to conduct confidential and investigative interviews with relevant parties, as well as attending news conferences, events, tours, and roundtables across the province as required.
- Thorough evaluation of relevant sources including media scan, in-depth review of relevant social media platforms, published online and print materials for issues, angles and opportunities that should be explored to meet strategic objectives.
- Determine topical and strategic approach to daily question period including Leader’s questions.
- Prepare succinct and accurate reports within tight timelines.
- Provide information and political analysis and advice to the Director of Issue Management.
- Generating ideas for effective, targeted political action to advance Caucus strategic goals.
- Preparing proposed questions for Question Period, Freedom of Information requests, speaking notes, press releases, backgrounders, and fact sheets.
- Preparing a wide variety reports and presentations for various audiences.
- Support Leader’s Secretariat and Critic Tours, including event planning, attendance and execution and preparation of materials.
- Other related duties as required
- Knowledge appropriate to the position of the NDP, the Ontario Government and public affairs and the workings of the Legislature
- At least one year of recent experience specializing in research and communications
- Strong strategic communications background
- Thorough knowledge of all social media platforms and advanced online research tools
- Excellent political judgement and the ability to perceive and pursue news angles and political opportunities in the daily flood of information
- Knowledge and understanding of Ontario’s policy trends and developments
- Enthusiasm and availability for extensive travel essential.
- Enthusiasm and availability for last minute travel, events and issue management work essential.
- Excellent political judgment and the ability to identify contentious issues within a huge volume of material.
- Ability to work under pressure and work to strict deadlines.
- Proven ability to work energetically with minimal supervision, produce accurate and effective work according to deadlines, and maintain organized records
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, ability to deal with the public, ability to work under pressure, good computer and office organization skills
- Ability to build and maintain strong interpersonal relationships with stakeholders
- Solid experience in investigative research and public relations
- Ability to write succinctly, powerfully and quickly
- Willingness and availability to work irregular hours including weekends essential
- Experience in an NDP organization and election campaigns would be an asset
- Familiarity with equity, anti-racism and anti-oppression policy frameworks
- Second language skills would be an asset
The NDP Caucus is an equal opportunity employer. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request.
Applications to Human Resources Co-ordinator NDP Caucus, email: [email protected], fax: 416-325-2266.