The Human Resources Assistant reports to the Director of Human Resources and Operations and is responsible for implementing the Human Resources priorities and obligations for the NDP Caucus.
Responsible to the Director of Human Resources and Operations
- Become fully knowledgeable about both Collective Agreements with the Caucus
- Work with Director to ensure the Ontario NDP Caucus is in compliance with the Collective Agreements governing both Legislative and Constituency staff
- In collaboration with the Director, propose recommendations and attempt to resolve issues between management and employees with informal measures within the framework of the Collective Agreements and relevant policy
- Support the work of the Director to implement when necessary progressive discipline , grievance, mediation and arbitration processes
- Support the work of the Director to prepare for collective bargaining in 2019.
- In collaboration with the Director, ensure the Ontario NDP Caucus is in fully compliance with all Employment-related legislation, policies and procedures
- Working with the Director, help provide training and support to the Senior Management Team on effective management techniques including operating within an Anti- Racism and Anti-Oppression framework, and on the procedures of Progressive Discipline
- Work with the Director to develop and implement systems and protocols to professionalize and improve the Human Resource service provision to MPPs, Caucus and Senior Staff
- Implement the hiring process for all Caucus Staff within the parameters of both Collective Agreements
- In collaboration with the Director, update job descriptions as needed for all positions within and outside of the bargaining unit
- When needed, help develop interview and testing instruments as well as reference follow up instruments for all job postings
- Implement the hiring process for all Caucus staff including recruitment strategies to ensure the most qualified staff at both the legislative and constituency level.
- Develop and implement pre-interview and screening processes to streamline the hiring process to identify the most qualified applicants.
- In Collaboration with the Director, develop systems and protocols for processing all new staff efficiently and accurately to ensure a smooth onboarding process for temporary and permanent employees
- In consultation with the Director, identify the most effective means of tracking staff to provide relevant reports on hiring status, probationary and seniority status
- In consultation with the Director, identify the most effective means of tracking staff vacation, lieu time, sick days etc.
- Provide regular reports to the Director and Principal Secretary of training status of all employees and management team and MPPs
- Manage and maintain all human resources files (paper and electronic)
- Deliver onboarding
- Record and distribute meeting minutes
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum 3 years’ experience as a Human Resources Professional or equivalent
- Certified Human Resources Professional designation preferred
- Additional training in Social work, Mediation, Human Rights or Law an asset
- Experience working in a unionized environment in the public sector required
- Excellent communication skills and ability to deal professionally and discretely with sensitive issues and maintain confidentiality
- A sound knowledge of Employment related legislation, including but not limited to Employment Standards Act, Ontario Human Rights Code, and The Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act
- Proficiency in Accounting, Microsoft Office Suite, Databases and Spreadsheets, Nation Builder essential
- Demonstrated ability to create a positive work environment and facilitate a culture of collaboration and teamwork between managers and employees
- Excellent judgement and ability to provide sound advice to management
- Knowledge of the policies, practices and structures of the Ontario NDP or Labour Movement an asset
- Superior organizational, administrative and planning skills
- Enthusiasm for and availability to travel and work irregular hours including weekends is essential
- Self-motivated, innovative and disciplined with the ability to lead projects to completion.
- Good attendance profile
- Ability to work in an intense work environment managing tight timelines
- Strong presentation skills, written and oral
- Mediation training and strong negotiations skills essential
- Project management skills
- Ability to prepare reports, produce accurate work and maintain detailed and organized records
- Familiarity with equity, anti-racism and anti-oppression policy frameworks required
- A driver’s license
- Fluency in other languages an asset
This is an excluded non-bargaining unit position. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
The NDP Caucus is an equal opportunity employer. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Accommodation for job applicants with disabilities are available on request.
Applications to Human Resources Coordinator, Ontario NDP Caucus