Status: Full-time, Permanent
Salary Range: $60,000 - $65,000/year
The HR/ LR Advisor reports to the Director of Human Resources and Operations and is responsible for implementing the Human Resources priorities and obligations for the NDP Caucus.
Responsible to the Director of Human Resources and Operations
Manage Employee Life-Cycle:
- Implement the hiring process for all Caucus Staff within the parameters of both Collective Agreements, including recruitment strategies to ensure the most qualified staff at both the legislative and constituency level.
- In collaboration with the Director, update job descriptions as needed for all positions within and outside of the bargaining unit. The preferred candidate will have experience conducting or taking part in Joint Job Evaluation Committees and completing thorough job evaluations with a standard tool or formula.
- When needed, help develop interview and testing instruments as well as reference follow up instruments for all job postings
- Develop and implement pre-interview and screening processes to streamline the hiring process to identify the most qualified applicants.
- In collaboration with the Director, develop systems and protocols for processing all new staff efficiently and accurately to ensure a smooth onboarding process for temporary and permanent employees
- Deliver onboarding to new employees
- Working with the Director, help provide training and support to the Senior Management Team on effective management techniques including instituting regular Employee Work Evaluation process, operating within an Anti- Racism and Anti-Oppression framework, and on the procedures of Progressive Discipline
- Provide regular reports to the Director and Principal Secretary of the training status of all employees and management team and MPPs
Policy, Procedure, and Communications:
- In collaboration with the Director, ensure the Ontario NDP Caucus is in full compliance with all Employment-related legislation, policies and procedures
- Work with the Director to develop and implement systems and protocols to professionalize and improve the Human Resource service provision to MPPs, Caucus and Senior Staff
- Drafting and delivering HR-related communications to all relevant staff
Human Resources Administration:
- Ability and enthusiasm to complete the administrative components of the role
- Record and distribute meeting minutes
- Manage and maintain all human resources files (paper and electronic)
- Prepare case files and briefs for Senior Management
- Other duties as assigned
Grievance and Complaint Procedures:
- Understand and apply the terms of the two Collective Agreements that govern NDP Caucus
- Work with Director to ensure the Ontario NDP Caucus is in compliance with the Collective Agreements governing both Legislative and Constituency staff
- In collaboration with the Director, propose recommendations and attempt to resolve issues between management and employees with informal measures within the framework of the Collective Agreements and relevant policy
- Support the work of the Director to implement when necessary progressive discipline, grievance, mediation and arbitration processes
Health and Safety:
- Assist with managing and developing new Health and Safety Policies and Protocols
- Ensure all existing policies and legislated duties are implemented and upheld in the workplace
- Working with Unions to collaboratively approached health and safety topics
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as a Human Resources Professional or equivalent
- Certified Human Resources Professional designation preferred
- Additional training or education in Labour relations, Mediation, Human Rights, or Law an asset
- Experience working in a unionized environment in the public sector a necessity
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to deal professionally and discretely with sensitive issues and maintain confidentiality
- Sound knowledge of Employment related legislation, including but not limited to Employment Standards Act, Ontario Human Rights Code, and The Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act
- Proficiency in Accounting, Microsoft Office Suite, Databases and Spreadsheets, Nation Builder essential
- Demonstrated ability to create a positive work environment and facilitate a culture of collaboration and teamwork between managers and employees
- Excellent judgement and ability to provide sound advice to management
- Knowledge of the policies, practices and structures of the Ontario NDP or Labour Movement, and the political sphere is an asset
- Superior organizational, administrative and planning skills
- Experience in conducting and coordinating workplace investigations
- Enthusiasm for and availability to travel and work irregular hours including weekends is essential
- Self-motivated, innovative and disciplined with the ability to lead projects to completion.
- Good attendance profile
- Ability to work in an intense work environment managing tight timelines
- Strong presentation skills, written and oral
- Mediation training and strong negotiations skills essential
- Project management skills
- Ability to prepare reports, produce accurate work and maintain detailed and organized records
- Familiarity with equity and diversity policy frameworks and workplace standards required
- A driver’s license
- Fluency in other languages, specifically French, is an asset
Please apply on this apply link https://ndp.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=55
This position is excluded from any bargaining units.
The NDP Caucus is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve. Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request.