The Ontario NDP Caucus is seeking a Director of Research to support Ontario’s new Official Opposition Leader Marit Stiles and our team of MPPs from across the province. The successful candidate will lead a robust research program to ensure our effectiveness as the Official Opposition, while developing fresh policy options to address the challenges and opportunities facing Ontarians.
• Manages a team of researchers to support the legislative functions of caucus and the Leader.
• Provides coordinated, timely and accurate information, strategic advice and assistance for the Leader, senior team and caucus members.
• Develops and implements a legislative and research strategy to support the goals of the caucus and ensure the effective work of the Official Opposition.
• Works with the Leader and MPPs to prepare for upcoming legislation, respond to government legislation and draft materials for Question Period and committee.
• As a member of the Management Team, works collaboratively to develop and communicate the common vision, mission and strategic priorities of the Ontario NDP to staff, caucus and external stakeholders.
• Is a liaison with Caucus members to develop legislative priorities and provide support.
• Develops and manages departmental resources to meet the department’s mandate and responsibilities.
• Builds strong relationships with external stakeholders for the purposes of informing legislative work and promoting the work of caucus.
• Other duties as assigned.
Experience working in a senior role in government, opposition or in media, NGOs, trade unions, non-profit sector, or private sector with a strong understanding of legislative processes.
Minimum of 3 years' experience in research or legislative affairs.
A strategic thinker and project manager with the ability to set priorities.
Proven ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, for political purposes. Ability to lead and motivate a team and to foster a collaborative working environment
Candidates must have a familiarity with equity, anti-racism and anti-oppression policy frameworks; Sound knowledge of Canadian politics, the New Democratic Party of Canada, its policies, programme and structure. Ability to balance multiple competing priorities and demands.
Ability to maintain the integrity of confidential information. Proficiency in French, and any additional language is an asset.
Ontario NDP Caucus is committed to providing a flexible work environment where you feel supported to do your best work. Given the nature of our work environment most of our work is performed onsite at Queen’s Park in Toronto but flexibility for remote work is available. Occasional travel within Ontario is a requirement. Extensive use of computers and collaborative work applications is a requirement.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
$102,000 annual salary, a comprehensive benefits package and the opportunity to work on the frontlines of progressive politics in Ontario.
The Ontario NDP Caucus is committed to creating a respectful, inclusive and barrier-free workplace that allows all staff to reach their full potential. We believe that equity, inclusion and diversity is key to organizational success. We welcome all qualified candidates to apply including women, racialized persons, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and other equity-seeking groups.
The Ontario NDP Caucus is committed to fostering an accessible and equitable recruitment process for all applicants. We will attempt to provide reasonable accommodations to ensure the applicant’s full participation if requested.
Resumes are only accepted in response to advertised vacancies and will be used for the purposes of determining eligibility for employment only. We appreciate all resumes, but only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any document in an accessible format please contact us by email.
This is a non-unionized management position.
The NDP Caucus is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request.
Please apply on this link: https://ndp.bamboohr.com/careers/275 by March 30, 2023
Thank you for your application. Please note, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.