CORRESPONDENCE OFFICER –– Full-time, Permanent (6 month probation) NDP Caucus Services Queen’s Park Toronto
Objective: To assist the Leader’s Secretariat and Caucus with the tracking, drafting, research and administration of correspondence.
Responsible to the Director of the Leader’s Secretariat for:
Preparing correspondence on behalf of the Leader’s Secretariat and Caucus to constituents and members of the public, stakeholder groups, community groups, and government officials at all levels that is high quality, accurate, proof-read and within message box of the day.
Working closely with other departments - Communications, Stakeholder Relations, Legislative Affairs and Issues Management – to ensure drafted correspondence is appropriate and in line with NDP policy.
Having key correspondence reviewed and approved by relevant departments, on behalf of the Leader’s Secretariat.
Assisting with responses to event invitations for the Leader, as required.
Deal with day-to-day inquiries from the public, staff and MPPs directly and where appropriate triage with Caucus Service staff to ensure that inquiries are directed to appropriate staff and responded to in a timely fashion.
Electronically track inquiries from the public to the Leader’s Office and advise the Director as to current trends and controversial issues.
Assist with the organization and triaging of the Leader’s Queen’s Park inboxes.
Assist with the organization of a centralized correspondence database that can be used by caucus staff and Members’ offices.
3. Public Relations
Contacting constituents and general public as required, by email, written correspondence, telephone, or in person.
4. Advisory/Research Duties
Keeping informed of NDP policy and the caucus position on topics of current interest and concern; performing specialized research at the Director’s request; making inquiries and collecting information in connection with correspondence received by the Leader’s Office; liaising with Critic Offices and other caucus staff to pro-actively determine follow up to key correspondence.
5. Other Duties as Assigned
- Knowledge appropriate to the position of the NDP and/or Canadian labour movement, and of the Ontario Government and public affairs.
- Background in communications, copy-editing, journalism, marketing essential/an asset
- Excellent communication skills and exceptional writing skills; ability to work with the public; ability to work with minimal supervision; ability to work under pressure; ability to do general research.
- Good political judgment and discretion essential
- Proven experience working with confidential information is an asset
- Strong office organization skills and attention to detail are essential.
- Excellent computer skills including electronic list management and record keeping
- Experience in the Labour movement or NDP organization and election campaigns would be an asset.
- Second language skills would be an asset
- Familiarity with equity, anti-racism and anti-oppression policy frameworks.
The NDP Caucus is an equal opportunity employer. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request.
Applications to Human Resources Co-ordinator NDP Caucus, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: 416-325-2266.