Objective: To assist the Member by completing assigned casework and outreach duties.
Responsible to the Member for:
- Preparing, gathering, maintaining and compiling research material as requested by Member to aid in communicating with constituents and organizations in the constituency.
- Responding to requests for research or information from the MPP’s constituents.
- Monitor local media to ensure a strong media presence for the Member. May include preparing weekly columns, drafting op-eds, standard media releases and arranging interviews. As well, work with the MPP and caucus communications department to develop a strong social media presence and manage online social media to increase MPP’s visual identity; and assist with outreach and engagement to help promote awareness of the MPP in the riding.
- Keeping informed in all policy areas assigned by Member and liaising with interest groups within the constituency.
- Dealing with enquiries and advocating for constituents (case work) using a creative approach to problem solve. Contacting and responding to constituents by telephone, writing, and in person. Contacting senior government personnel, officials from outside organizations, and local government.
- Preparing, maintaining and managing all documentation related to casework.
- Travel throughout the Riding to perform outreach, event planning and other duties as assigned by the Member. Willing to work some evenings and weekends.
- Other related duties as assigned by the Member.
- Knowledge of the NDP and the Canadian labour movement, Canadian government, Ontario government and public affairs.
- French language oral and written proficiency essential.
- Ability to write articles and reports, to meet deadlines, produce accurate work and maintain organized records including Member’s schedule. Strong time management skills are esential.
- Ability to understand and prepare cases and to advocate effectively on behalf of the Member’s constituents.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency in social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) is required.
- Familiarity with Member’s constituency and key local stakeholder groups is essential.
- Experience in NDP organizations and election campaigns would be an asset.
- Familiarity with equity, anti-racism and anti-oppression policy frameworks an asset.
The NDP Caucus is an equal opportunity employer. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request.
Applications to Human Resources Coordinator
NDP Caucus Services, Room 113
Queen’s Park, Toronto, ON M7A 1A5
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org