Job: Constituency Assistant
Status: Temporary full time (32.5 hours/week)
Department/ Location: MPP Laura Mae Lindo (Kitchener Centre) Constituency Office
Objective: To assist the MPP by completing assigned casework and outreach duties.
TASK, DUTIES, AND EXPECTATIONS:
- Assisting with outreach and engagement to help promote awareness of the MPP in the riding including event planning, speaking engagements, attending events on behalf of the
- Dealing with enquiries, solving problems and advocating for constituents (case work). Contacting and responding to constituents by telephone, writing, and in person.
- Contacting senior government personnel, officials from outside organizations, local government, the media, etc.
- Monitor local media to ensure a strong media presence for the Member. May include preparing weekly columns, drafting op-eds, standard media releases and arranging stand- up interviews. Also, will be working with the MPP and caucus communications department to develop a strong social media presence and manage online social media to increase MPP’s visual identity; and assist with outreach and engagement to help promote awareness of the MPP in the riding.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with constituents and local stakeholders including community organizations.
- Preparing, gathering, maintaining and compiling research material as requested by Member to aid in communicating with constituents and organizations in the
- Responding to requests for research or information from the Member’s constituents.
- Preparing correspondence for the Member including but not limited to correspondence to Minister’s of the Crown and other government officials and organizations within the
- Preparing all documentation related to casework.
- Keeping informed in all policy areas assigned by the Member and liaising with interest groups within the constituency.
- Travel throughout the Riding to perform outreach, casework and event planning and other related duties as assigned by the Member
- The successful candidate must have extensive experience working with members of the public exhibiting varying heightened emotions.
- Knowledge of the NDP and the Canadian labour movement, Canadian government, Ontario government and public affairs.
- Ability to write articles and reports, to meet deadlines, produce accurate work and maintain organized
- Ability to advocate effectively on behalf of the Member’s
- Excellent computer skills required including Twitter, Facebook, Mailchimp,
- Familiarity with member’s constituency and portfolio areas and key stakeholder groups in the riding is essential.
- Demonstrated familiarity with equity, anti-racism, anti-oppression, and social justice frameworks is required
- Proficiency in English is essential.
- Experience in NDP organizations and community organizing is an asset.
- Knowledge and existing rapport with local riding and community members are preferred.
- Proficiency in social media is essential
- Second language skills preferred
The NDP Caucus is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request.
Please apply at this link: https://ndp.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=178
Thank you for your application. Please note, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.