Objectives: To assist the Member by completing assigned casework and outreach duties.
Responsible to Member for:
- Responding to, solving problems and advocating for constituents (casework).
- Contacting and responding to constituents by telephone, writing and in person.
- Contacting appropriate ministries/other levels/departments of government to support case and constituency work.
- Preparing all documentation related to casework.
- Travel throughout the Riding to perform outreach, casework and event planning.
- Preparing, gathering, maintaining and compiling research material as requested
by Member to aid in communicating with constituents and organizations in the constituency.
- Responding to requests for research or information from the MPP’s constituents.
- Monitor local media to ensure a strong media presence for the Member. Upon request, may include drafting verbiage for standard media releases and arranging stand-up interviews.
- Work with the MPP and caucus communications department to develop a strong social media presence and manage online social media to increase MPP’s visual identity; and assist with outreach and engagement to help promote awareness of the MPP in the riding.
- Keeping informed in all policy areas assigned by Member and liaising with interest groups within the constituency.
- Other related duties as assigned by the Member.
- Knowledge of the NDP and the Canadian labour movement, Canadian government, Ontario government and public affairs.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Hamilton Centre, normally acquired by living in and/or working in the City/Region.
- Demonstrated knowledge of disability justice, equity, diversity and inclusion as it relates to serving populations with complex lived experiences.
- Ability to report back on constituency work as it relates to policy development, meet deadlines, take direction and initiative.
- Produce accurate work and maintain organized records.
- Ability to advocate effectively on behalf of the Member’s constituents.
- Excellent computer skills required including database management, Twitter, Facebook, Mailchimp, etc.
- Familiarity with Hamilton Centre demographics, population and challenges.
- Demonstrated experience serving marginalized constituents.
- Experience serving houseless constituents.
- Proficiency in English is essential.
- Previous experience in a similar role at any level of government or busy service agency is an asset.
- Experience in NDP organizations and community organizing is an asset.
- Knowledge and existing rapport with local riding and community members is preferred.
- G Class License and access to reliable vehicle preferred.
- Experience in field of social work is an asset.
- Proficiency in Punjabi, Arabic or Somali are assets.
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request.
Please apply on this link https://ndp.bamboohr.com/careers/282
The NDP Caucus is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request.
We appreciate your interest in this position. Please note, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.