Status: Part-Time, Permanent (16 hours/week)
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Applications Due by August 07, 2020
Objective: To assist the Leader and Caucus Members in carrying out their public, parliamentary, party and caucus responsibilities by engaging target communities, building and maintaining community stakeholder relations, organizing and coordinating community events, and providing strategic advice and information on issues related to community engagement with key target communities.
To work collaboratively with Outreach, Stakeholder Relations, the Leader’s Secretariat and other Caucus departments on the above priorities and to successfully communicate and inform the policies and priorities of the Leader and Caucus.
The Community Engagement Officer will be predominately responsible for outreach programming in South Asian communities, in addition to supporting the primary objectives of the Community Engagement department. South Asian communities account for 29.6% of visible minorities in Ontario and 8.7% of Ontario’s total population (Statistics Canada, 2016). Linguistic skills relevant to these communities are therefore required. Such requirements include the ability to proficiently read, write, and speak in Tamil and/or Gujarati and Hindi.
Responsible to the Director of Community Engagement:
- Establish a strong profile for the Leader and Caucus in key ethnic communities.
- Becoming thoroughly knowledgeable about political, community and stakeholder organizations, issues and events within key communities.
- Developing and maintaining positive relationships with stakeholders, local community organizations, ethnocultural and racialized community groups on behalf of the Leader and Caucus.
- Work to ensure a strong profile for the Leader and Caucus in ethnocultural media.
- Providing political analysis and strategic advice to the Leader and Caucus to address developments, situations, issues and opportunities arising within key target communities.
- Setting, communicating and maintaining timelines and priorities for community outreach, tour and projects to engage ethnocultural and racialized communities, in consultation with the Director.
- Identifying and creating opportunities for engagement with key target communities, including the planning and coordination of campaigns and outreach events, in partnership with other caucus departments.
- Preparation of Community Engagement materials for Leader and Caucus, as required.
- Other related duties as assigned by the Director.
- Understanding and knowledge of ethnic community organizations and communities
- Proficient ability to read, write, and speak Tamil and/or Gujarati and Hindi is required.
- Demonstrated ability and experience working with a wide range of communities, specifically South Asian communities which account for 29.6% of visible minorities in Ontario and 8.7% of Ontario’s total population, is essential (Statistics Canada, 2016).
- Superior organizational skills
- Experience in events management and/or media event planning required
- At least one year of recent experience in outreach, communications and public relations
- Knowledge appropriate to the position, of the Ontario NDP Caucus, the Ontario government and the working of the Legislature
- Strong political judgment and the ability to perceive and pursue new angles and political opportunities in the daily flood of information
- Ability to write succinctly and quickly
- Proven ability to work energetically without supervision, work with the public, and provide leadership in team settings
- Excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to produce accurate and effective work under tight deadlines and under pressure
- Excellent computer and office organization skills
- Familiarity with equity, anti-racism and anti-oppression policy frameworks
- Enthusiasm for and availability to travel and work irregular hours including weekends is essential
- Experience in NDP organizations, ethnocultural organizations or labour organizations would be an asset
- Driver’s license essential
The NDP Caucus is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request.
Please apply on this link https://ndp.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=26 by August 07 2020
Thank you for your application. Please note, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.