Ontario NDP Caucus JOB POSTING
Job: Bilingual Media Relations Officer
Status: Permanent, full-time
Department/ Location: Queen’s Park, Communications
To assist the Leader and Caucus in carrying out their public, parliamentary, and Caucus responsibilities by coordinating the development and implementation of media relations strategies based on strategic themes and priorities.
To assist the Leader and MPPs to deliver the NDP message across the province.
To carry out media relations functions including written and verbal communications in French.
Responsibilities, reporting to the Director of Communications:
- Execute media relations and media related activities necessary to disseminate the platform of the Leader and Caucus as widely as possible, in both English and French
- Develop media relations strategies and public relations projects for MPPs in both French and English
- Work in partnership with the other media relations, communications, research and MPPs’ staff
- Write, edit, seek and incorporate feedback and distribute news releases, speeches, articles, op-eds, and other materials as required, in both French and English
- Support the maintenance of contact lists of journalists and newsrooms throughout the province
- Build and maintain relationships with newsrooms and media throughout the province, particularly in French
- Monitor media coverage of the NDP Leader and Caucus and provide timely, politically savvy analysis
- Provide briefings in preparation for media events, interviews or public events, in both French and English
- Make detailed arrangements for media appearances, interviews or public appearances for members of the Caucus
- Be involved in all aspects of media event planning and execution, including press conferences, interviews, photo opportunities and more
- Other related duties as required and as assigned
- Complete fluency in both French and English with experience in French-language media
- Preference given to Franco-Ontarians and individuals whose first language is French
- Completed post-secondary education, preferably in journalism, communications or a related field
- Knowledge, appropriate to the position, of the NDP, the Ontario government and the workings of the Legislature
- Previous experience in journalism or media relations, preferably in a political or legislative environment
- Experience, knowledge and involvement with media outlets across Ontario
- Experience and knowledge in communications planning, marketing, and public relations
- Proven ability to work in a team environment
- Proven ability to manage a variety of issues and projects simultaneously
- Excellent political judgment and the ability to perceive and pursue news angles and political opportunities in the daily flood of information
- Proven ability to work energetically, without supervision, to produce accurate and effective work, often under very tight deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, ability to deal with the public and members of the press
- Solid experience in research, and translating research for a broad audience
- Ability to write succinctly, powerfully, quickly in both French and English
- Exceptional editing skills essential, with knowledge of Canadian Press style
- Competence with social media and web maintenance an asset
- Willingness to work irregular hours including weekends and to travel
- Experience in the labour movement or NDP organization and election campaigns would be an asset.
- Familiarity with equity, anti-racism and anti-oppression policy frameworks
The NDP Caucus is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request.
Please apply in this link: https://ndp.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=223
Thank you for your application. Please note, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.