Objectives: To assist the Member by completing assigned casework and outreach duties.
Responsible to Member for:
- Preparing, gathering, maintaining, and compiling research material as requested by the Member to aid in communicating with constituents and organizations in the constituency.
- Responding to requests for research or information from the MPP’s constituents.
- Monitor local media to ensure a strong media presence for the Member. May include preparing weekly columns, drafting op-eds, standard media releases, and arranging stand-up interviews.
- Work with the MPP and caucus communications department to develop a strong social media presence and manage online social media to increase MPP’s visual identity.
- Assist with outreach and engagement to help promote awareness of the MPP in the riding.
- Keeping informed in all policy areas assigned by Member and liaising with interest groups within the constituency.
- Dealing with enquiries, solving problems and advocating for constituents (casework).
- Contacting and responding to constituents by telephone, writing, and in person.
- Contacting senior government personnel, officials from outside organizations, and local government.
- Preparing all documentation related to casework.
- Travel throughout the Riding to perform outreach, casework, and event planning.
- Other related duties as assigned by the Member.
- Knowledge of the NDP and the Canadian labour movement, Canadian government, Ontario government, and public affairs
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Equity and Diversity frameworks and considerations and the ability to apply it to the responsibilities of the position
- Proven outreach experience with diverse communities in Hamilton Centre
- Ability to write articles and reports, meet deadlines, produce accurate work, and maintain organized records.
- Ability to advocate effectively on behalf of the Member’s constituents.
- Excellent computer skills required.
- Familiarity with member’s constituency, portfolio areas, and key stakeholder groups in the riding is essential.
- Proficiency in English is essential.
- Conversational French is strongly desired.
- Experience in NDP organizations and community organizing is an asset.
- Ability to demonstrate strong community ties to the Member’s riding is strongly preferred.
- Proficiency in social media is
- Additional language skills preferred.
The NDP Caucus is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request.
Please apply at the following link: https://ndp.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=232
Thank you for your application. Please note, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.